Expedition Ship Polar Pioneer
The legendary MV Polar Pioneer is a strong, capable veteran expedition ship loved by guests and expedition leaders for her capability in ice and her small size with a proven track record exploring the remote polar regions over the last 19 seasons.
Her new Scandinavian owners are currently doing an extensive refit upgrading her to today’s standards and she will be ready for the 2022 Arctic season.
She benefits from taking just 48 guests on an authentic expedition adventure free from the crowds of larger vessels. All guests can fit in the Zodiacs at the same time ensuring there is no waiting to go ashore and all guests can explore at the same time.
The MV Polar Pioneer was built in Finland in 1982, and the ship was originally an ice-strengthened research vessel with ice class 1A Super, which is perfect for navigation in polar regions with heavy sea ice.
She can transit open water crossings with ease and comfort due to the integrated dynamic water ballast system, which guarantees a great reduction of rolling in heavy seas. Her ingenious stability system works marvellously also during the zodiac’s loading/unloading operations or while sitting at anchor. As a result, the Polar Pioneer is one of the most stable vessels currently in operations in the Polar regions.
Why We Love Polar Pioneer
- True polar expedition vessel – tough design with highest ice-class capable of exploring in ice (something most ships can’t do)
- Smallest group size in Antarctica and South Georgia
- Access landing sites larger ships cannot reach
- Room for all guests in Zodiacs – No waiting time to go ashore
- Takes just 48 guests – Intimate experience with the natural environment
Sauna – Warm up after a day in the cold
- Newly refurbished vessel – Enjoy comfortable cabins, bar, and saloon
- Open Bridge – Enjoy the views from the best place on board
- Authentic Expedition Experience – Only possible on a small ship
Polar Pioneer has a large deck space with raised areas making her perfect for photography. She features a large passenger saloon with bar, and an onboard sauna to warm up in after a day in the cold.
She is crewed by a team of experts with decades of experience navigating polar waters and is an ideal vessel for guests looking to go on a real expedition with an authentic expedition vessel.
There is accommodation for 48 guests across twins, triple cabins, and suites. She is equipped with Zodiacs that can accommodate all guests for shore landings and exploring.
- Equipped with 5 x zodiacs for shore landings. All guests can fit in the Zodiacs together so no waiting to go ashore.
- Large open deck space and raised areas for photography
- Expert team of crew and guides
- Boots provided for shore landings
- Large passenger saloon with bar
- Newly refurbished to a high standard with warm, comfortable cabins
- Medic and clinic onboard