Travel insurance that provides cover for emergency repatriation in the case of a medical emergency is compulsory for all trips sold or operated by Secret Atlas and is a condition of booking. We will ask for a copy of your insurance certificate prior to departure.
We cannot legally provide you travel insurance advice but we have put the following guide together to assist you in finding the right insurance for you.
What we recommend your insurance policy covers:
- Medical expenses
- Emergency evacuation and search and rescue
- Evacuation (including by helicopter) to the nearest hospital for accident, injury & other medical reasons
- Cancellation and curtailment
- Personal liability
- Loss of luggage and personal effects
- Death and illness
We also recommend that you take out cancellation insurance that covers you in the event you have to cancel your trip due to illness or injury.
Our destinations are remote and we advise seeking expert advice from a travel insurance company to ensure you have the sufficient levels of cover in place for your destination and planned activities.
It is mandatory that your insurance covers flights and hotels in case the vessel is delayed or the trip cancelled.
We cannot recommend one company and encourage you to get several quotes.
World Nomads offer general travel insurance.
Battleface provide cover for adventure exploration and sports.
Travel & General provide cover for different winter sports activities.
MPI Brokers offer coverage for skiing.
We recommend that you check the following with your insurer:
- Emergency medical repatriation (to home country): including any associated expenses abroad covers at least $500,000.
- Activities carried out on the expedition are included such as skiing, hiking, kayaking, paddleboarding and sailing.
- That your insurance covers you for the geographical area you are visting.
- Make sure the date your insurance starts and ends is when you are back in your home country to ensure that you are covered until you arrive home (not when your cruise ends).
- Ensure cancellation insurance covers you from the time of booking.
- Disclose any pre-existing medical conditions to your insurance company.